In our busy consumer lives; being ‘green’ can be perceived to be the inconvenient option, especially if it costs a little more, takes longer, and smells different. But there are compelling reasons, why we all need to review the ‘convenience’ and short-term solutions of materials such as plastic for our immediate health, wildlife welfare and the state of the planet we would like future generations to inherit.
Take action now and be part of the solution. Together we can change the course of the future and here is how.
Follow the mantra:
- Refuse single-use items: plastic bags, straws, plastic water bottles
- Reduce – If we reduce the need/ demand for convenience packaged items by demanding alternatives we can change things and reduce the amount of litter ending up in the oceans
- Reuse – Choose reusable non-plastic options = cloth bags, drinking bottles, glass jars for storage
- Recycle – The truth is plastics are NOT recycled, they are down-cycled into lesser grade items that can’t be recycled. But if you have some plastics lying around better to recycle than let them fly into the sea
And while you are at it!
- Support campaigns – Raw Foundation have a plastic campaign to sign
- Inspire others – Show them the easy safer alternatives
- Be a player for change – A united community and consumer demands can bring about change. Yay, let’s make things change!
We are in it together
To make it easy for you to make changes, we have put together lots of suggestions on this website. Follow us on Facebook for up-to-date media and current affairs on these issues.
Sign up to the newsletter for monthly updates, including a break down of the best news articles and blogs.