by Livvy Drake
Every time I undertake the Lent Plastic Challenge, I find that the new recipes and products I discover, far outweigh the the things I go without. Often being ‘busy’ (our favourite word in this modern world), means I forget about the joy found being creativity in the kitchen. But, as the ‘busy’ doesn’t show signs of abating the creativity needs to be quick, easy and …. low packaging. So here are just some of the alternatives I have discovered over the last few weeks:
- Home-made flatbread pizza – choosing a yeast- free dough took minutes to make and I froze half the dough for mid-week meals.
- Roasted carrot curry sauce- A great friend gave me this recipe. Simply roast carrots with spices and blend to a puree
- Sweet potato or aubergine chips – Hemp flour, ground almonds, or leftover breadcrumbs are great for a crispy coating
- Mint avocado ice-cream – a creamy dream
- Coffee grind exfoliating scrub – mixing ‘used’ coffee grinds with coconut oil is a great wake-up experience.
These are just some of the recipes we have been sharing with those who joined the Lent Plastic Challenge, and due to their popularity we are bringing it all together in one place a ‘Low Waste More Living‘cook book.
The book will include:
- How to shop to avoid & minimise packaging
- How to transform fruit & veg (they easiest non-packaged items) into delicious naughty treats.
- How to prepare fresh food quickly & easily so you can enjoy healthy, convenient food and have time to enjoy living!